Date(s) - 07/06/2021
9:15 am - 1:30 pm
Categories No Categories
ALWL© online training is not intended to replace face to face delivery of the ALWL© course. Washington Mind have developed the ALWL© online course so that this much needed training can be delivered in adherence to the Government directive of social distancing during the Covid 19 pandemic.
Both nationally and regionally we are challenged with preventing suicide. By training our community we can tackle the stigma associated with suicide and reach many more people and their families. This half day training course focuses upon a community approach to suicide prevention and intervention. This training is funded by South Tyneside Council and places are limited to those working and/or residing in South Tyneside.
- Offer support and information to people who are experiencing suicidal thoughts
- Support local people to identify ‘a life worth living’ and equip workers and volunteers with the confidence, skills and knowledge they need to offer support and information to a potentially suicidal person.
- Provide them with knowledge to signpost to local services and access the relevant pathway of support
- Reduce suicides
Upon completion of the training workshop delegates will have developed competencies in the areas of skills, knowledge and attitudes associated with suicide prevention There are many myths about suicide, get the facts ……attend the training. Due to the subject of this training it is not recommended for those who have recently been bereaved and for some who may be experiencing suicidal thoughts.
Please note that there will be a £50.00 charge for any non-attendance per day unless you have cancelled your space 5 working days before the training date booked.
This course is not recommended at this time if you have been recently bereaved, experienced a recent bereavement by suicide or currently have thoughts of suicide.
We also recommend that you carefully consider the topics that will be covered (below) and your current emotional health before attending the course.
This training may be challenging or unexpectedly triggering for some of us. Please think carefully about how you’ll look after your own wellbeing and make sure you have appropriate support in place. We therefore need you to identify someone supportive nearby who you can gain support from if needed. This could be someone who has agreed they will be available to talk to you either in person or over the phone/virtually (e.g. a friend, a line manager, a colleague or a relative).
You must be able to attend the full course and have permission where required to attend and only to be contacted if an emergency situation arises.
- All live sessions will start promptly at the time stated. You must log on to the learning platform 15 minutes before the start of the session to avoid disruption to the learning and delivery.
- You must have stable internet connection.
- You must have access to Chrome browser
- You must have access to the most recent version of Zoom
- You must have a working microphone and camera.
The course will cover
- A warm welcome to the course and an introduction to your trainers for the session.
- An introduction to the methods of delivery for the course content
- A review of the Training Competencies
- Creating a safe and supportive on-line learning environment
- The far reaching effects and impacts of suicide upon families, friends and communities.
- Attitudes that are often associated with suicide and talking about suicide whilst looking to build alternative ways of understanding.
The course will introduce the LIFE© model for suicide prevention and intervention. As we discuss the four stages of the model we will also examine how to apply the LIFE© model.
The course will provide information on local support services utilising a Pathway of Support that signposts to appropriate services at each step of the Pathway.
The course will explore how having a conversation and using the LIFE model can be lifesaving whilst also highlighting the need for safe- care. Talking with someone about suicide is not easy and it can be demanding.
You will receive a training pack prior to attending the online course. The content of the pack will include PowerPoint slides and note sheets. Please note that this handout is the one used in our face to face training and is different to those slides used within the online delivery.
You will also receive in your pack an ALWL© postcard, wallet card and wristband.
Bookings are closed for this event.